Viterbo, a typical medieval city, is called the City of the Popes, for having hosted since the thirteenth century several popes who lived here for shorter or longer stays. The historic center and heart of the city is the medieval quarter of San Pellegrino, one of the most intact in Europe, a real jewel of the thirteenth century district, full of charm and charm, made of squares, houses of the time, narrow and winding streets, arches and characteristic “profferli”. Remarkable is the dominating building San Pellegrino square, Palazzo degli Alessandri, of the important family supporting the Guelph faction. Imposing is Piazza del Plebiscito dominated by Palazzo dei Priori with the seventeenth-century inner courtyard where some lids of Etruscan sarcophagi are kept. Piazza di S. Lorenzo is an enchanting place where the evocative scenario of San Lorenzo’s cathedral, the 13th century papal palace and the Loggia delle benedizioni opens up. In the Papal Palace of Viterbo there was the longest conclave in the history of the church, which lasted from 1268 to 1271. It took almost three years, after the death of Clement IV, for the white smoke of the election of Gregory X.
But Viterbo is also the “City of beautiful women and beautiful fountains” (from typical melted shapes) and a land rich in flavors and traditions that are inspired by those of the Etruscan civilization; and precisely in the continuity and strengthening of that qualitative tradition the current production of Tuscia is characterized. Pleasant and interesting, along the itinerary of visiting Viterbo, stop at craft shops and tasting points, in the historic center of the city, where tourists can find hand-made products (such as ceramics) and taste typical products.